Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Piecing, at last!

The panto is over (a great success, with over 1,00 happy people as a total audience) and I can finally get back to some real sewing!  Before Christmas I started Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice quilt, and had lots of pieces ready to go, so that seemed a good place to start. 
Here are 9 blocks put together to showcase the design.  I love secondary designs, and the blue circle is wonderful, with the lovely star in the centre.  I'd make it up like that, but it would be a bit small (the blocks finish at 9").  It's really a square design. so the next size would be 16 blocks, although that wouldn't have the circle in the middle. 

I've started more blocks (I have the components ready to go) and am aiming for 25.  That will make a reasonable sized quilt, with borders, and will showcase the design perfectly.

Friday, 24 January 2014

Any sewing?

I haven't blogged this month because there hasn't been much to blog about!  We've been very busy packing up my Mum's house and moving her to a cosy bungalow near to us, and of course with the annual panto!  Much time has been spent measuring actors, sourcing costumes, fitting costumes, buying fabrics and some making of costumes.  This week has been the last lap.   I've been doing the bits and bobs.
The panto is 'Cinderella' which means the chorus all need a ball outfit.  The boys made do with white shirts and fancy waistcoats, but the girls needed dresses in panto style.  This one fitted the bill, but not the actor, so I improvised by putting a small panel in the back.  It's not at all noticeable on stage. 

Another great ball dress for the wicked stepmother, again, not in the right size.  A black panel and some extra lace make it look fine.

The prince needs a sash (it's actually integral to the plot) so some brocade-like fabric, a length of ribbon, and grandma's old brooch solved that one!
Another ball gown (aka old bridesmaid dress) which needed taking up at the waist and a bit of repair.

A pink ball gown which needed a pair of boobs to fill out the bodice.  The 12 year old actor didn't have any, so I put some darts in the neck.  Sorted!

And finally, one of the ugly sisters needed a pocket in his gymslip.  That was straightforward, as I just undid the seam and slipped the pocket in. 
Now all I have to is enjoy the show!

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Into 2014!

We have successfully made it through 2013 and on the quilting front, it was a good year.  I completed something like 21 quilts (plus a few Linus ones) so am pretty much keeping to my average of a finish every fortnight!  I've not managed to finish all the UFOs I pledged to complete last year, but there are only two left over, which is a big improvement on the year before, when I had UFOs dating back over 10 years on the list!  I have found it good to list them and prioritise a quilt for every month, in the hopes that I'll get some finishes.  It's worked well so far!

First one left over from 2013 is this made fabric quilt.  It needs a border and some serious quilting.

These blocks from the Rocheberie Challenge have already been made into a quilt - but there are five more left!  Some creativity will be needed to put them together!

These scrappy trip blocks have made it into a top, but that's all.

Emily's Houses have been bordered.  So many tops!

Lazy Sunday has a purple border and is good to be layered.

I have still got my passion for MAM, and there are several tops and block sets waiting for attention.

Over the holiday I have been making a few more 'Dear Jane' blocks.  They look good, and are quite challenging.  Much more difficult than the Tula Pink ones, although they are satisfying too.
Add to the list some log cabin blocks (another scrap project), granny squares, the wedding quilt for DD and husband, various circles and Celtic Solstice, that makes quite a list!
I'll be delighted to get back to normal after the holidays and attack some of these projects.  Here's to 2014!