Saturday 13 February 2021

Not a promotion

 I’m not really a fan of gadgets.  While the early adopters are snapping up the latest fad at quilt shows, I am too mean to pay good money for something which may be useful, or may just end up mouldering in a drawer.  Having said that, there are a few things I have found useful, and this diagonal seam tape is one of them. 


It’s available on the internet for about £7-£8, and I am getting no kickbacks for promoting it.  Mind you, if the company would like to show its gratitude to me, I certainly wouldn’t refuse!  It’s a way of making HSTs, flying geese and flip and stitch units without having to draw a diagonal line on the wrong side! 
How great is that!  Think of all the hours you’ll save!  And it works, honestly, it does. 


Here it is, on my machine.  You just cut a piece off, align the red line with your needle position and stick it on your machine.  That’s the tricky bit.  The black lines are exactly a quarter inch away from the red line, ie the sewing line.  


Then you can sew a diagonal line by keeping the point of the shape exactly central even for large squares. For HSTs, you can keep the point on a black line and you will be sewing a quarter inch away from the centre! 


I find it helps with general accuracy, as you can make sure your fabric is straight before it gets to the needle. A real plus for me! 


And this is something I have found it really useful for.  I’m making a temperature quilt, well two quilts, actually.  I have chosen fabrics to represent weather temperatures, dark blues for very cold, through greens and yellows for warmer and oranges and reds for hot weather.  Each different fabric represents a certain range of a few degrees and each flying goose is one day.  The central goose is the highest temperature and the sky is the lowest.  I’m doing two, because I thought it would be interesting to make a record for the year I was born, which was 1950, and one for this year to compare the weather.  January 1950 is on the left and January 2021 on the right.  As you can see, 1950 started off quite mild, then got colder, while 2021 did the opposite.  It keeps me busy. 


And here is a goose being sewn.  No drawing of diagonals necessary! 



No comments: