Saturday 27 February 2021

Rectangles are not squares

 The title of this post might seem like stating the obvious, but it came as a surprise to me!  I saw this string quilt somewhere on the web, and thought it would be an interesting one to do. 


It has rectangles instead of squares, which gives the quilt more of a calming waves feeling, as opposed to the zig zag feeling of squares.  So, I made a few rectangles, and started to lay them out. 


But no matter how I turned them, they all sloped the same way!  Squares can be alternated, but it seems that rectangles, though still four sided, can’t.  What a surprise! So I had to make some blocks sloping in the opposite direction, and it’s beginning to take shape. 


I’m doing it over papers, which is quick and easy, until I have to remove the papers.  I used to have a foundation paper remover on tap, but she rudely moved away when she got married.  I’ll just have to get on with the job myself!  Tough times! 

1 comment:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I hadn't thought about that either. I am glad you figured it out before you got too far. I really like the pattern.