Friday 5 March 2021

Actually reducing the scraps!

 How many times have there been ‘scrap-busting’ patterns published?  And how many of them have actually made any dent in the scrap piles?  (Answers are lots and none!). But I have really, honestly made a dent in the scraps, although I have made several scrap quilts recently.  


This scrappy pineapple used quite a few of the coloured scraps and lots of the neutrals.  It’s waiting to be quilted and bound. 


 This string quilt really powered through the scraps!  It used lots of longer strings but also some of the medium and smaller ones too.  I pieced it over papers to keep everything straight.  I don’t think it’s the most attractive quilt I’ve ever made, but I think an older child will like it and have fun looking at the various designs.  I often buy wacky fat quarters, especially if they’re reduced, to throw into a scrappy mix.  This one has sunglasses, bananas, tacos, paper clips, suns and dinosaurs amongst other designs! 


And to use up the small scraps, I’ve been enjoying this Fiddlesticks quilt.  The blocks are cut at 11.5” , then strips of 1”, 1.5” and 2” are added and then the whole block trimmed to 11.5”.  It will finish at 11”, making the finished quilt 44”, a good size for Linus.  Obviously this isn’t as labour intensive as it looks, as I joined the small scraps in columns and cut scrap strings from them.  Shall I arrange them like this? 


Or like this?  And here are the two scrap drawers, which were both very full. 


Good job! 

No comments: