Monday 8 March 2021

Half square triangles

 Half square triangles, usually abbreviated to HSTs, are often donated to Linus.  They are also left over from other projects, as we sometimes get into the production line rhythm and end up with more than we intended.  I usually toss them into the crumbs drawer, but have realised a really good way of using them up which isn’t too fiddly!  

I have been using them in bear’s paw blocks, which is fine for the 2.5” HSTs, but the smaller ones make a lot of work for small blocks.  Then I thought, why not use a centre square instead of lots of squares, and voila! 


These are 2” HSTs, with a 6.5” square, making a creditable 9” finished block.  Lucky thesevHSTs we’re all the same.  


These ones weren’t all the same, but I think it’s fine. 


These two also have slightly mismatched sets of HSTs, but I’m sure they’ll be fine when finished. 

Tip:  one thing I have decided recently is that if you’re short a pink square or whatever to complete a scrappy block, you are allowed to make one!  Getting these leftovers uses up is the aim of the game! 

No comments: