Sunday 15 April 2012

Procrastination

I have always been very good at procrastination, and it's served me very well over the years, so why change?  I'd like to, but it doesn't look as if it will happen!  This time (apart from other things!) I've been procratinating about my Patchwork Times Challenge.  Judy pulled out number 10 this month, which is my Barbara Brackman Civil War quilt.
I don't know why I've not got on with it, as the pieced centre is all joined together, backed and quilted, and all I have to do is add the borders.  But there's the snag.  I'm not really sure how to do it.  So, after a lot of thinking, I've taken the plunge.  I joined a narrow purple border and a wider turquoise one together and added it to one edge of the quilt, sewing through all the layers.

Then I cut a border from the backing, and sewed it onto the back, again through all the layers.



So from the front, you can just see the two layers of fabric.


Next I carefully laid a piece of wadding (Hobbs 80/20) between the two pieces of border fabric and pinned them carefully together.  So far so good.  Will it work?  I'll let you know!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Looks very like Ferrets `quilt as you go`method except she has you seam through the batting too this creates an extra layer and a bump which I am not fond of so I would do it the way you have. If you want to avoid batting slipage I might try a 3 step zig zag to anchor the batting to the body of the quilt.

Liz said...

From the 3rd picture in this post, when the top and backing have borders stitched on but not yet pressed open this is when I would suggest you use 3 step zig-zag (stitch set wide and long) to join the batting to the seam allowance of your top.

Andrea Louise said...

So, did it work? I am curious!
By the way, did check my blog? I am back!!!
Love,
Andrea.