Monday, 31 July 2017


I have just finished the current part of my Sarah Fielke BOM.  Apart from cutting all the Dresden petals, which seemed interminable, and awkward, as they couldn't be completely rotary cut, it was quite straightforward. 

Here it is ready for the next instalment.  I'm pleased with it so far, although I'm a bit concerned at how big it's going to be!  It'll be tricky to quilt, but then, I'll worry about that later. 
Meanwhile, I've been trying to use up the scraps!  It's a constant task!  I enjoyed making the Bonnie Hunter design with 2" scraps, and thought it might be possible to make it with 2.5" scraps. 

The answer is yes!  However, since the central nine patch finishes at 6", the trapezium fabric needs to be 26" long.  Not many 26" scraps in the box!  So, I have cut some strips from yardage, and since the blocks are big (finish at 10") chosen interesting fabrics for that part.  Just 16 blocks will make a great quilt, and make a bit of an impression on the 2.5" bin, hopefully! 


Sunday, 23 July 2017

A trial run

It's all Julie's fault.  She was the one who had this idea about jelly roll races, and got me looking at YouTube videos of people sewing strips of fabric together!  Then I saw this idea of a 4Corners Jelly Roll Quilt at quirky granola girl's site and I got all fired up to have a go!  There were just two little snags.  One, I didn't have a jelly roll, and two, I didn't want a quilt the finished at 52".  The first problem was solved by assembling some strips and joining them till they were about 42", and the second with a pencil, paper and a bit of head scratching! 

If I used half a jelly roll, there would be half the number of strips, so if I just joined till there were eight strips sewn, it would work out!  So, I sewed and sewed and this is what I ended up with. 

The strips were mainly blue and gold, and I added in some Viking fabric just to cheer it up a bit.  With the centre square (which I cut to 9" in case you fancy a go) and 25" slices, I ended up with something more than acceptable! 

Not the prettiest of quilts, but I think someone who likes blue and Vikings will be pleased to snuggle up with this!  It finishes at 42" which is perfect for a Linus quilt.  Now I need to get an Accuquilt 2.5" cutter and make myself some more jelly rolls! 

Friday, 21 July 2017

A finish and a start

I am still working through my UFO challenge list, and have been quilting this flying geese and robots quilt. 

I just quilted in the ditch round the flying geese, and then did a free motion geometric squares and rectangles design in the robot sections.  I love the way the blue and white striped binding sets it all off. A lucky find in my stash! 

So now I'm sewing this Bonnie Hunter 2" scrap design. Though my neutral 2" box is getting quite empty there doesn't seem to be the same effect on the dark 2" box.  Still, at least I can get the lid on! 

Sunday, 16 July 2017

Catching up

JI don't work well under pressure, and like to be ahead of the game if I can.  So I looked in my sewing room and took a deep breath - need to get some projects out of the way.  First was a few block components I made at Rocheberie Schoolhouse Quilters.  I demonstrated the use of the Easy Angle ruler for making HSTs and flying geese, and had a few of each ready to assemble. 

Not a big deal, but I hate waste and at least now these blocks can be put away in the 8.5" bag ready for their appearance in a Linus quilt at some time. For anyone not familiar with this ruler, I can thoroughly recommend it.  It helps to make HSTs and flying geese that are very accurate, and using less fabric than the usual method.  You can buy it on Amazon for just over £7 at the moment.  Bargain! 

Then I got to work on my Challenge group blocks from Pat Sloans Garden Mystery.  I have till September to make these, but they only have to be made once, and here they are!  I love the one on the left, but maybe it's my fabric choices. 

Then it's on to my Sarah Fielke BOM for this month, Dresden plate.  This was very tedious to cut out (and I have three more!) but very easy to sew.  Just need to appliqué now, which is my favourite part! 

Wednesday, 5 July 2017


I have been busy sewing, but mainly trying to finish off Linus tops.  

This monster is done.  Not the most inspiring of designs, but I think a teenager will appreciate its size to snuggle down under!  Incidentally, it confirmed my dislike of quilt as you go.  Since the blocks weren't all quite the same size, normally I'd ease them to fit, but once they're quilted, you can't do that.   Never mind, it's a finish. 

This is also a finish.  I love the design, but I think it might have been better not quite so scrappy.  Still, it has a lovely animal print on the back, so I'm sure it will find a suitable home. 

Another finish (well, once the binding has been slipstitched it will be a finish!) scrappy blue snowballs. 

This one is waiting for its binding.  It's a collection of orphans, and I think they play together pretty well.

And a work in progress, these giant flying geese which have been paired with a lovely lime green robot print.  I'm part way through quilting this one, so off we go! 

And a sneak preview of something I'm working on for next year.  Sssshhh!