I'm soon to be starting making theatrical costumes (for a performance of 'Oh What a Lovely War!') and this time want to be well ahead of the game. All the cast will be having a civilian costume from about 1914 for the opening of the play, and we'll need some more full petticoats for the ladies. There's nothing worse than a period costume without the correct underpinnings - it looks all wrong! While browsing on the web last week, I found this site sewing machine sales which showed a ruffle foot for my machine. That would make the construction of the petticoats much easier, so I sent for one. here it is. Doesn't look like it'll do much at all. I was expecting something much more complicated than this!
But here is the result on a piece of scrap fabric. Evenly spaced ruffles all ready to attach to a skirt!
I've bought a couple of cream valances from the charity shop, so am all set! All I need now is the time!