Wednesday 21 May 2014

Ruffles

I'm soon to be starting making theatrical costumes (for a performance of 'Oh What a Lovely War!') and this time want to be well ahead of the game.  All the cast will be having a civilian costume from about 1914 for the opening of the play, and we'll need some more full petticoats for the ladies.  There's nothing worse than a period costume without the correct underpinnings - it looks all wrong!  While browsing on the web last week, I found this site sewing machine sales which showed a ruffle foot for my machine.  That would make the construction of the petticoats much easier, so I sent for one.  here it is.  Doesn't look like it'll do much at all.  I was expecting something much more complicated than this!


But here is the result on a piece of scrap fabric.  Evenly spaced ruffles all ready to attach to a skirt!


I've bought a couple of cream valances from the charity shop, so am all set!  All I need now is the time!

1 comment:

black bear cabin said...

i cant wait to see what you create!!! i love making period costumes! :) havent done it in ages though, so i will enjoy watching you do it instead!