Monday, 25 September 2017

A sort of Victorian bonnet

I am doing the costumes for our local production of 'Frankenstein' and needed a Victorian bonnet.  The only ones to buy that I could find were actual ones, and consequently out of our budget.  So I decided to have a go at making one.


I got a straw hat and chopped a piece off.


Then I bound the edge with fabric.  I could have used ribbon, but I used fabric and my trusty Clover 0.5" bias tape maker instead.  I started and finished at the side of the bonnet so the ribbon ties would hide the join.


Next I put the ties.  It's one long piece of ribbon sewn onto the bonnet - makes it secure that way.


Then some decoration I found in my ribbon box.  I think theyve been saved from boxes of chocolate, but they do the job pretty well!



Here is the finished item modelled by my good self.  Not the most authentic bonnet,but certainly passable, quick and cheap!

3 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That's genius Lynda!! Well done!

Amanda said...

That looks great!

piseth san said...

I really likes your blog! You have shared the whole concept really well and very beautifully soulful read!
Thanks for sharing
บุนเดสลีกา