Sunday 27 January 2008

Strips that sizzle!

I have been quilting DD's sofa quilt this week, but ran out of thread. Machine quilting is great but you can certainly get through miles of thread! I can't get any YLI variegated thread locally, so have sent off for more. In the meanwhile I was inspired by Wanda's gorgeous sizzling strips (go back to January 11th, but be prepared for serious inspiration on the way!) and Elaine's to rummage round in my UFO box to find a set of blocks I won in a raffle at a local quilt group which had been waiting to be joined together. There were 45 of them, so I made a few more to make 49 and then played around with them a bit to see how I wanted to arrange them.


The top bit is the part where you can see the sizzling of the dark and light stripes going on, but I thought the zigzag added interest. Now I can't decided whether to just add a border and make it into a Linus/lap quilt, or whether to do something more interesting (like add some more blocks but change the colour gradually to yellow and green). Maybe it'd be better to experiment on a whole new quilt than try to mess about with this one. Any ideas out there?

3 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Whoa girl - this is too cool to give away. I don't see anything wrong with this. And the arrangement? That is just dynamite. I am thinking along the same lines. I had plans of hanging the Sizzling Strips, and in order to be effective, they would have to be in a dynamic design. This is just lovely - thanks so much for the photo and the mention.

black bear cabin said...

i love the way you set the squares...very fun indeed! i dont think i would add to it....just finish it up and make it a lap quilt...it looks sooo pretty, i dont think id want to add anything :)
of course, knowing your work, anything you add is only gonna make it look better :) Keep Quilting!!!
cheers!
lisajo

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the crispness of the blue and yellow. I like your layout too.