Wednesday, 13 May 2009

Mystery quilt traumas

When I examined my Mystery Quilt after the June Tailor quilting transfers had been washed away, I found, to my horror, that some of the red fabrics had run! I always wash my fabrics when I bring them home, but since my stash is extensive, and dates back (in some cases) 10 or 15 years, there are obviously scraps which didn't get washed before I instigated this rule. Here are the two offenders.

This fabric was actually a Rose and Hubble, so it's a bit surprising that it ran so badly.

I searched out the remaining few pieces of this fabric and washed them in the sink - the water went dark pink!


I can't remember where this one came from, but I don't seem to have any more of it left - and if I come across a piece, I'll be very wary of using it!

I went over to my local hardware shop, looked amongst the washing stuff, and bought some Dylon 'Colour Run Remover'. It was only £3.50 for two sachets, so I thought it was worth a try. You soak the fabric in the product dissolved in water for an hour, and to my amazement, hey presto! it does exactly what it says on the packet! The colour runs were removed!

Gone!

Gone!
Gone!

Here is the completed quilt, which I'm calling 'Feathers'. It was interesting (as ever) to see other completed quilts at the meeting of Rocheberie Quilters last week. Have a look for yourself, and soo what you think.

5 comments:

Contented Caroline said...

Glad you managed to get it sorted, it must be so heart-breaking when that happens. The end result is lovely though.

Julie in the Barn said...

I think we've all had that happen at one time or another! I know it's happened to me. I'll have to search out that remover. Good to know it actually works.

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

Oh my goodness, so glad you were able to fix it. It looks great!

Suze said...

That turned out lovely. Good quilting and the little bit of red washed right out.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Excellent to know what gets the extra dye out. Glad it worked!