Saturday, 8 August 2009

Stages one and two

I've been sewing the binding on Becky's Roses, and felt the need for something a bit easier to manage. I decided to have a go at the task I need to complete for a challenge group I belong to. This year's theme for the group is 'curves' and we have already made Drunkard's Path, Free-cut curves and New York Beauty. Since I have been so busy with the play, Chris agreed to take the last meeting, and has decided on something quite interesting.

The first stage was to contruct a piece of fabric by making lots of free-cut curves joined together. I could choose any colour combination, and decided to continue to work with pinks and greens, as I felt they were quite summery.

The next stage was to embellish the piece with ribbons, couched threads and machine embroidery in metallic and variegated threads. Lots of fun, especially since Ruth told me how to

stop the metallic thread from continually breaking or splitting by investing in a metallics needle! Pretty obvious, you'd have thought, but it didn't occur to me!

The next stage is ........... (to be continued).


loulee said...

Looks very pretty. I remember doing something very similar in my needle work classes at school.

Gina said...

This looks very much like a workshop I did through the quilt University online. Darned quilts I think it was. I only got to this stage and didn't like how my version turned out. I've got fabrics to make a different one instead.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You've gotten further than me...though I've picked my colours are I think we might be on the same "wave" length :o) (pardon the pun)
Great minds and all that!