Saturday 9 January 2010

Pieclique

I have been trying to get on track with all the things I have to do, and since the meeting of my challenge group, Flutterwheels is next week, felt I had to make a start on the blocks I need to take! Last year's theme was curves, and the challenge this time was to make a block using Sharon Schamber's method of piecing curves.

First of all you make a template for the main shape out of two pieces of freezer paper ironed together.
Then you use the starch method of creating the curves on the template. I must admit that I am a big fan of the starch method, but it had never occurred to me to use two pieces of freezer paper, despite the frustrations of the sogginess of only using one! Next you use water soluble glue (Pritt in my case) to glue the quarter circles onto the wrong side of the template, and this enables you to open out the seam and sew along the fold line created by the starch! Easy!


It was easy too, and although the preparation was a bit fiddly, the results were worth it, as you can see. I haven't put the method in detail as if you click on the link to Sharon's site, and look at 'free stuff' she has an excellent tutorial on how to make a Pieclique circle!

4 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Yeah it worked!!

I pulled mine out today to finish them off and was very pleasantly surprised to find I'd already done them!! Woo hoo.

Contented Caroline said...

Good for you Lynda - they look great,must go and have a look at Sharon's method now!!

Barb said...

how funny, I just saw Sharon here in NYC on saturday. I have the dvd for this technique, I'll have to try it one of these days.
barb

sewkalico said...

Wow, they look great! Now how many more will you be making?