Saturday 16 January 2010

Scraps and strips

Since Christmas is over, I have been trying to rationalise my fabric stores. I have a lot of my own fabric, and also lots of fabric donated to Project Linus. The problem with the Linus fabric is that it is fabric which people don't want - often because it's horrible! But I am grateful for the donations, and such a cheapskate that I like to use as much of it as possible. I am always looking out for good patterns which use scraps, and this lead me (of course) to look at the lovely designs which Bonnie Hunter has on her site.

There are so many great designs that it's hard to choose, but I settled on 'I spy a 4 Patch' as a good one to use up fabric.
First I chose lots of novelty squares which I thought would appeal to boys, football, fishing, boats, animals, tomatoes - well, they were bright and colourful, so in they went!

Then I found a reasonably sized piece of fabric with footballs on it, and cut all the novelty squares out of the same fabric. This meant that I could use lots of different fabrics for the four patches. Which do you like best?


8 comments:

Paula said...

I like them both. But, I will admit that the first quilt has that "pop" that I love. Is that fabric in the little border a rusty red?? I love that it repeats in the four patches too. Very nice donation quilt.

black bear cabin said...

i dont think i can choose...they are both great...and i love the patterns you used. i have been collecting I-Spy fabrics thru several swaps to make a quilt for Jordyn, and your patterns have inspired me :)

Contented Caroline said...

I'm with the second one - those footballs just 'pop' out at me. hope you are well - you're obviously very busy with the sewing. Won't see you at the next Rocheberie as I'm working but hope to see you soon.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

They both look wonderful! I think you have been very resourceful using up various bits of fabric!

sewkalico said...

I love the football one!

Gina said...

I love the footie quilt. I know a few grown up boys who would like one like that.

LOve and hugs Gina xxx

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

They are both pretty but I like the blue one better.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All right, I know they are both blue. I like the second one better.