Wednesday 14 May 2008

How I got extra hand-quilting time, or the perils of cricket

Cricket has a well-deserved reputation for being a leisurely summer game. It's played by white-clad men on village greens and in parks all over England, who always stop for tea half way through the game and is generally regarded as being about as exciting as watching paint dry (well, it is amongst the non-players!). However, like the worm that turned, there is a dangerous side to this gentle game. The ball they play with, is not unlike a small, red stone, in that it is made of very hard leather, and when thrown at velocity, can really sting your hands. And if it's thrown with velocity and happens to hit a bone, a break is likely to follow.

So, on Sunday afternoon, DH was playing for his village team and got hit on the ankle, and now has a Webber B fracture of the ankle. (They thought it might be Webber C, which necessitates a metal plate and nasty stuff like that, but luckily, it wasn't.)


Here he is trying to cancel some of his work appointments and follow the hospital's instructions about keeping his foot elevated.

So, what about my hand-quilting time? He had to visit the hospital twice this week, the first time to A&E and the second to the fracture clinic, both visits meaning long periods of time waiting for nurses, X-rays, doctors, plaster etc. While we were waiting, I successfully quilted two more sections of my Chaos Crumb quilt. Every cloud has its silver lining!

6 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh what a shame!! I do hope he is feeling better soon!

sewkalico said...

I would have thought with all the fetching and carrying you'll have been doing you wouldn't get anything done!

~Molly~ said...

Indeed they do(have silver linings). Your poor dh though, ouch!!

Molly

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about DH's ankle - and they say rugby's a dangerous game ((vbg)) But don't you just love bonus stitching time

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

Hi, I'm from the US. I was looking for a link to put in my blog about Mile-a-Minute quilts. I came across yours and I really like it. Sorry to hear about dear hubby, but focused more in on the quilt. Hope you won't mind if I drop in once in awhile.

black bear cabin said...

Hope he heals quickly...but hurrah for hand quilting time :)