Thursday 29 May 2008

Confession time

I belong to several quilting groups, but my favourite is called 'Flutterwheels' (well, we had to call it something!). This is an informal group of nine quilters who want to push their skills a bit. We meet 6 times a year in each others' houses, and have a great time. Some people had been on an unsatisfactory City & Guilds course, so as an alternative to this, and the fact that they had ended up with lots of little samples of things which were neither use nor ornament and certainly wouldn't go together to make anything at all, we decided on a raffle format. Each member makes one block (or more, depending) and then the blocks are raffled at the next meeting.
This year's theme is stars and I was the lucky winner of some lovely purple stars from Nancy Johnson Srebro's book 'Stars by Magic'.

Don't they look fabulous? It's lucky that there are nine members of the group, because it makes a perfect quilt arrangement.

Now comes the confession. The only rule of the group is that you must make the blocks up within a year of winning them. This is to stop people getting burdened with UFOs, but didn't work in my case. In November 2006 I won some sizzling strips blocks, and although I put the blocks themselves together, I have only just finished the top!

I was really hoping to do something clever with the border - extend the top into the border or something, but this week I decided enough was enough and I needed to finish it. I'm quite plesed with the border treatment (although, as usual, I didn't have enough of the light blue border fabric to do the whole thing). I'm just quilting it at the moment, so don't let the other memebrs of Flutterwheels know that I'm so tardy, will you?!

7 comments:

loulee said...

Ooh! I like those, especially the stars! I could make those into a quilt for you if you like, I'd send loads of photos, just no finished quilt! LOL

Diana said...

Those purple stars are spectacular. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

♪♪Melody♪♪ and Puddin said...

both quilts are wonderful. I love the colors and layout in the second quilt. The stars really stand out. are they paper pieced?

sewkalico said...

Are you sure you don't technically have to give those stars back? LOL
They are gorgeous though!

Anonymous said...

Just blog browsing and found you. The stars are spectacular. Love the way the shades of purple all blend so well. The strippy quilt is ver unusual. You have done a good job with the piecing. It's very 'Arty'
Well done.
I will be back to visit again soon.
Jenny

Sew Create It - Jane said...

You are sooo busted! So what's the official penalty for not finishing a project within a year? Hung, drawn and fat quartered? LOL

All that aside you've done a great job...looking forward to seeing the stars together.

TTFN

Jane (aka - Flutterwheel member)

black bear cabin said...

i love the way you arranged the strips...it looks great, and no one would know you didnt have enough blue....looks like that was intentional! :)
As for the purple stars....very cool...cant wait to see what you do with those!