The brief was to use analogous clours (colours next to each other on the colour wheel) and I chose red (in this case, pink) and red/purple. I still need to sew the ends of the petals down, but it's looking OK so far.
Then I had a bit of a rumage through my UFO box and found some Dresden plate kits I had made up for a demonstration table I did ages ago. The pieces were all cut out, so it seemed a shame not to make them up, while I was up for chain piecing.
This one lacks its centre, but is complete. These pointed rays are really easy to do.
First you cut your rays out.Then you fold them in half, right sides together and iron a crease down the top couple of inches.
Then you sew along the top by machine. (This is where the chain-piecing comes in.) Clip the folded edge of the ray.Turn the ray right sides out, poking the point out well with a pencil or something which is not a scissor point or you'll make a hole, like I did!Now press! Join them together matching the sides of the rays, until you have made a circle. It depends on the size of the ray as to how many you need. (Mine were quite small and needed 24 rays for a circle.) Lay the plate onto a square of backing fabric and applique down by hand or machine. Applique a circle in the middle to hide all the mess in the centre. Easy! Now I just need to join up 72 more and I'm in business!