Saturday 16 February 2013

Don't look!

Don't look at this post if you're of an envious disposition, as it might spoil your mood!  Like most quilters, my stash has been steadily getting out of hand.  From a couple of carrier bags, it has multiplied into numerous bags, boxes, cartons, drawers and cupboards, and finds itself stored in several rooms in the house.  DH was starting to get worried, so we had a little trip to IKEA to see if we could get some better storage, where it would be accessible but more contained!  I really wanted shelving, so I could store the plastic boxes I already have, but none of the shelving systems were deep enough, so we compromised on this wire basket arrangement. 
 
I had already bought a smaller unit like this 10 or 12 years ago, and since it was still in perfect condition, I was happy to buy more.  The three units with drawers and top shelves cost just over £100, which we felt was money well spent.  The question was, would I be able to empty the boxes I already had, the ones under our bed, the one under DS's bed and the drawer in the chest in the spare room and get it all in? 

 
The answer is YES!  I even have a couple of drawers for computer paper and other stuff, so, hooray!  It was quite interesting how the drawers filled up.  I have a drawer for white fabric, creams, yellow (with a small bag of orange), red, pink, light and lime green, dark green, light blue, medium blue, dark blue, purple, light brown, dark brown , grey and black and novelty.  And the good thing is that there's a little space on the right hand side of the units where I can put my other sewing machine, wadding, quilts in progress and general stuff.  Perfect!

4 comments:

Nik said...

But now what do you do with your empty boxes? Refill them?......

Liz said...

Very organised! Did you find fabric you had forgotten about?

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks very tidy and organized!

black bear cabin said...

im surprised you only have one drawer of lime green :)