Tuesday, 4 December 2007

Christmas cards

I'm not really a card-maker, but for special occasions and special people it can be fun. I usually make something for close family at Christmas, and this year I decided to make some for my parents and mother-in-law using soluble film.

First I rummaged in my waste bin and found a few scraps of green fabric (and I mean scraps!) adding a few bits of ribbon and some scraps of shiny green fabric from my special box. Then I cut them up into tiny pieces using my ruler and rotary cutter - think of chopping herbs, it's that kind of exercise.
Then I arranged the scraps in a rough wreath shape on a piece of soluble film, topped it with another piece and transferred it carefully into an embroidery hoop. (In fact, I had to do this several times, as I kept tipping it slightly, so that all the little bits kept sliding together in a pile!)

Next I used my darning foot to machine all over the bits of fabric randomly. I tried to make a holly pattern, but soon gave up as it was impossible. Obviously I ket going round in a circle, and left the middle free.
When I was satisfied that I had sewn most of the bits together, I took the whole thing out of the frame, immersed it in warm water for a few minutes to disolve the film and left the resultant wreath to dry. It looked a bit dodgy at this stage, but I gave it a little trim here and there with some sharp scissors to help the shape look a bit better. Then I made another one!
Then comes the fun bit. In front of the tele, I sewed on some tiny red beads, to represent holly berries, some stars to represent...... well, stars, and a little red ribbon bow. I stuck them onto blank cards and have to admit, they look pretty good.
Here's a close-up where you can see the decorations a bit better. Actually, now I think of it, I'm sure my sister-in-law would like one too. Here's to another rummage in the bin!

10 comments:

Fiona said...

What a great idea - really simple but really effective. I've just bought a book that has projects with a similar technique only using fusible web but I never thought of making cards that way (not that I've got the time to make cards but I like to dream, you know).

joyce said...

It turned out really nice. I made a fabric bowl using this method. When you rinse out the water soluble stabilizer you leave some in and dry it over a bowl. Very delicate.

Angie said...

What a wonderful idea! Must get me some water soluble stablizer. :> Your cards are beautiful!

Lazy Gal Tonya said...

these look great. wonderful idea.

loulee1 said...

What sweet little cards. Thanks for the idea.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Aren't you a clever clogs! I love how you get all these great ideas for using up little scraps. Those cards are delightful!

anne bebbington said...

These are superb! Well done you

Andrea said...

Hi Auntie Lynda ! What - you didn't know we were related ? Of course we are - looking forward to receiving my card - lol !!! (Think I'm in a funny mood this morning).
These are wonderful !!

Kim said...

Ohhh! That's how it's done. Your wreath worked out very nicely! :)

katepang said...

These are beautiful! I make my own cards out of the previous years received selection before recycling the snippets of card, but I always make one or two more 'special' - I shall have to get some soluble film! I usually do the making in January and February and then lose them by November, but one can always improve!