Sunday 3 March 2013

Two finishes and some play

Why, oh why, do I put off layering up quilts, when it's really so quick?  I needed this Granny Squares quilt as a teaching sample, so got on with finishing it.  Easy peasy.  I quilted the squares in the ditch and then some meanders in the white spaces.  Well, quilting just holds the layers together, doesn't it?!  I love this design, and the way the values of the fabrics make the blocks look very different.  Some blocks are definitely X shaped, some are chequerboards and some (like the one in the right hand corner) just squares!  I also like the way the eye is fooled into thinking the squares making the pattern are the same, ie all the same pale blue, when in fact, they may all be pale blue, but they're all different fabrics!  Magic.
 
 
Then while I was on a roll, I finished this applique medallion.  Again I did a lot of in the ditch quilting, and meander in the borders.  A finish is better than a UFO any day!  So then I had my permission to play! 

 
Bonnie Hunter has been encouraging people to use these spool blocks as leaders and enders.  They're made from 1.5" strips, and I couldn't resist making a few.  They're really easy and very effective.

 
Here is another of Bonnie's spool designs, but made with 2" strips.  I have only made one of these so far.  Looking good.

 
Then I remembered somewhere seeing some spools which were slightly more realistic, with stripy fabric to look like thread, so I designed one of those for myself.  The tops of the spool were quite tricky as they are rectangular - why on earth didn't I stick to squares?!

 
Then by chance I came across this pattern for scrappy spools by Victoriana Quilt Designs.  They are much bigger still (finish at 6") but were great fun to make, and  'knit up big'. 


Anybody got any more spool designs I can try?!

3 comments:

Odry said...

Me encanta el primero.

Saludos :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow...look at all that you've got finished! I love your medallion quilt...great colours!

Liz said...

Threaded spools are lovely.