Monday 16 January 2012

A little distraction

I'm not getting on with my challenge quilt, but it's all Muriel's fault. She bought this panel on a whim (probably in a sale, I expect) and then wondered why on earth she'd been struck by a whim when she got it home, so kindly donated it to Project Linus! It's lovely and bright, so perfect for teenage Linus quilts, but why, oh why do they make panels with 8 blocks? And the border strips (there was one on each side) are never enough to do anything with, either. Then I had an idea. Maybe the border strips would be enough for a central block, bringing the total to a very useable nine.

I dug out my Dresden Plate ruler, and cut wedges from the border. There wasn't enough fabric for my purpose, but I managed to find some fabric in my stash which fitted the bill.


Here is a Dresden Plate which turned out pretty well - the yellow circle in the centre hides a multitude of sins, thank goodness!




And here is the layout for the quilt! It's not a prize-winner, but at least it's solved the 'panel problem'. I hope Muriel approves!

3 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Looks fab! Great creativity there!

Granny Anne said...

Wow, that was so very smart! I have a few panels and wondered how t make something with them (on sale buys too ;) ) Thanks for the inspiration....

TextileAddict said...

I think you've come up with a great idea to solve the problem and it works well.